Sports Massage involves the use of different massage techniques to aid the body’s recovery following sporting and exercise activity. Sports massage is also used to enhance the body’s ability to recover from injury and therefore decrease time away from activity as well as improving their ability to perform. Sports massage focuses on treating the soft tissues of the body, ie muscles, tendons and ligaments. Patients are provided with tailored treatment for each condition presenting.
Remedial Massage has been used as a treatment for minor and chronic soft tissue injuries for many centuries. Today it is still used to deal quickly and effectively with such injuries. Although the techniques used in remedial massage are almost identical to those in sports massage this therapy can be used on any patient with a soft tissue injury. It is not just limited to sportsmen and women.
Benefits of Sports and Remedial Massage
- enhance circulation and lymphatic flow and drainage
- excitation or sedation of nerve endings
- alteration of muscle length in either direction
- alteration of muscle tone
- remodelling of scar tissue as appropriate
- drainage of waste metabolic products